Saturday, August 1, 2009

more pickles...

So, today was bread and butter pickle making day...an official holiday...or maybe not...but with the abundance of cucumbers from the garden I needed to do something!! So I chopped up a couple onions and cucumbers and sprinkled them with pickling salt and soaked them in ice water for a couple hours... ...while they soaked, I cleaned a couple of quart jars... ...then I mixed the rest of the ingredients up in a pot...originally thinking my pan wasn't big enough, I cut the recipe in half...in the end though I ended up making a batch and a half to fill all the jars...
...I then got the hot tub (aka water bath canner) boiling, put the clean jars in to warm up and sterilize and drained the cucumbers and onions...isn't this great...just like television...three pictures later I'm already draining...that would be a 2 hour warp if anyone's really interested!

...I then put the cucumbers and onions in the bread and butter mixture and brought it back to a boil....filled my jars up....put on the lids...and put them in the hot tub to soak for a little while...

...and presto...PICKLES!!

...I'd like to think of them as jumbo bread and butter pickles...thank goodness the hubby put some of the other cucumbers in the downstairs fridge where the temperature control is questionable at best...just in case you are wondering, freezing a cucumber isn't really good for it!! Otherwise I'd still be making pickles...tomorrow is salsa making!! Hope everyone's having a nice weekend! :)

1 comment:

Michelle said...

does that mean you have LOTS of tomatoes???? dad says he is jealous no red tomatoes here but he did get tomatoes at the farmers market...perhaps he should come see you! hope everyone likes pickles...are we getting them in our stockings?!* Pickle of the year a new trend in the Kaas family!!! Kristi would like some in her stocking : ) we also learned that Kristi was a member of the Rock Club this has earned her MANY bonus points in dad's book!