Monday, November 10, 2008

All Good Things Eventually Come to an End

It is with great sadness that I announce Open Water Swimming 2008 has officially come to an end. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, most of you have probably not had open water swimming on your radar since September maybe even October, but for me, I finally caved in and decided that it was time to hang up my old rubber dingy suit and commit myself to the pool 3 days a week. Truth be told, I hate the rubber dingy suit, I only wear it when absolutely necessary because putting it on means that I jump into the water and become super buoyant, getting tossed and turned with even the slightest wave...which is not at all good because as we learned from Gilligan's Island a three hour tour can easily lead to being stranded with the professor and Maryann indefinitely or at least until you get rescued or your series ends, whichever comes first....So much like it started back at the beginning of April, it ended with Cuz and I taking the plunge...suffering from full facial ice cream brain freeze, swimming and exiting to a standing ovation. Ok, so we only got the standing ovation yesterday...the people on the shore actually stood in amazement that we were in the water and watched the entire 30 odd minute swim spectacle and clapped, hooted and hollered at the half way point and kindly took our pictures at the end! So for your enjoyment...or at least so my parents can shake their heads and say, "Yes she is our favorite middle child"...the before and after photos! The Before....see how pretty it is...

and the after....


...and it only took my feet a really hot shower and about an hour to defrost!! Bring on the pool!

4 comments:

Mica said...

Okay, not to sound like a lurker/creepo--I just found your blog and saw that you're running Richmond! I'm from Richmond (but just moved to IL), so rock on!

Are you from the 804 too?

Nicole said...

just got the blog up and running Mica, so I'm excited to have someone other than my parents reading the blog. I'm actually from the 757...but it'll be my second try at Richmond...thanks much for the well wishes. :)

Lee the Cyclist said...

Nicole that was a great story. To get applauded! Have you ever been applauded at the pool???

Great blog. Looking forward to future posts. I have added to my blog list.

nPlusOne said...

Not me, I'm just a lurker AND a creepo.
Welcome to the world of blogging. Thanks for putting me on your "blogs I read" list. Flattered. Maybe I'll actually post some race reports next year where I get some top finishes.
Thanks for your help in my first year of tri's, especially when I was swimming the sticks.
Now we got to get you out there racing some crits. Enjoy your "off season".