Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Swimmin'

Happy Tuesday...after taking yesterday off because I seemed to have a touch of whatever stomach bug is infesting the area, I hit the pool to make up my swim. November through February are tough in terms of pool access here...with swim league and high school swim, the lanes are limited as are the times. I knew it would probably be a little busy, but then again swimming before 4pm I thought I might catch a break...what a dreamer I am! It all started with the high school swim kids getting out of the pool...I was just about ready to jump in and start my warm up when they all exited...I knew they'd be shifting the lanes and so I walked up to the lifeguard to see if they were indeed shifting lanes and asked where I should start. The answer, "Well you can just swim over there until the high school swim is over." Not wanting to be a pain and point out that they were all out of the pool, I dutifully started my warm up and wasn't even 200 meters in when the same lifeguard is yelling at me to move over...I resisted the urge to tell him it would have been much easier for all parties if he had just let me start in the lanes that were going to be open. So with my workout underway, I'm about to start my main set when this kid jumps in my lane...jumps as in I'm 1 stroke from the wall about to flip turn and he jumps in practically on top of me. Again I keep my cool and continue swimming. Well midway through my first of many 200's he's standing in the middle of the pool 3 feet from the wall with his girlie draped across the wall discussing something I'm sure was completely earth shatteringly important, you know like why she skipped out of home room or if her friend's sister's sister liked liked him...so I stop, calmly tell them I respect that they are getting their workout in too, but seriously, pick a side of the wall that lets all parties swim continuously...he gave me the it's all about me attitude, I kept swimming. Eventually the love birds left the lane, enter another guy who was easy to share with until the "I can't swim an entire 25 meters without stopping" lady got in. Now, I know I'm not the most patient person in the world, but seriously, look at the people swimming before you hop in a lane and start getting in the way. Grrrrr!!
Saturday was the second race of the distance series for me...it was a perfect day for running...cool temps...partly sunny skies (until the rain started)...perfect. I had a great race, felt strong the whole way, did a super duper (if I don't say so myself) job of pacing for the race and while I think I could have pushed the pace a bit more, it is early in the season so I was satisfied and feel good about where I am with respect to my upcoming year.
Yesterday while recuperating, I was reading an article about how the Girl Scouts are downsizing their cookies this year...anyone that has ever ordered a box of Samoas over the years knows that they've been downsizing for quite some time now...right mom!! But let's face it, I still love those thin mints, so when the little girl down the block knocked at my door, I ordered some! Gotta keep the GS in business--some one's gotta have a job!
Hope everyone is having an great week so far! :)

5 comments:

Rainmaker said...

Ick, I hate those kinda swim days. My general solution is to swim through them. Well not quite bulldoze straight into them, but I find that getting as close as humanly possible is incredibly effective (say, perhaps 1" away during the stroke).

Good luck!

Lee the Cyclist said...

Thank you so much for constantly reminding me why I don't swim. And it sounds like you had much more patience then I could have shown "the kids". I actually got on the trainer tonight. At least no kids there.

Eduardo said...

Sounds like a fun session in the pool with some of the "I'm Special" people of this area. Good Job @ the 15K. BTW, nice "Excuse ME?!?!" pic, of you in line, on the photo website. haha

Nicole said...

Only you could find the random picture of me Eduardo...especially considering it is the ONLY one of me...but for the record that's my "I'm staning in the porta potty line you better not cut in front of me" picture!!

Michelle said...

I see we have the same patience level in the pool...NONE!!! I hate sharing a lane and I really hate sharing when people demand that we circle swim and everyother lap I am passing them...Good Grief!!!