Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A Look Back at 2008...

When I was graduating from college (the first time!) my father used to joke me about being a S.A.G. (Shiftless, Aimless and Goalless...not the vehicle that picks up the stragglers in a race!) and while 2007 found me with razor sharp focus towards IMFL, 2008 found me once again a S.A.G! I guess I was tired of riding my bike for hours on end...running, running and more running and swimming so many laps I lost count (ok...it was a lot, but I'm not too good at counting!)....so I started 2008 without much focus on anything, I had a few races I wanted to do, but mostly I wanted to cheer more and race less...in the end it turned out to be a great year. I was able to enjoy racing when I wanted and cheering for my friends as the conquered their new adventures...I was able to hang out with my family and friends past 8pm...I was able to race in the pouring down rain, with water up to the middle of my shin and love every minute of it on more than one occasion...surely I had some good races and of course I had some not so good races but 2008 was without a doubt a success for me on many levels. For 2009 I have some goals...some that have to do with athletics and some that don't...so since the first thing to do is write the goals down...I hereby present 2009 in a nutshell....
Running races until the first week of April...all the while building back my base on the bike and maintaining the swimming...I hope I remember how to ride my bike...it's been a couple of months! A few triathlons...and hopefully graduate school...right now all that is standing between me and graduate school is a 500-700 word essay about my hopes, dreams and aspirations and why becoming a nurse practitioner will help me achieve those...and the GRE's (again...who knew 10+ year old scores were bunk?!)...it's funny how I can babble endlessly about silly stuff but trying to compose an essay, complete with paragraphs and punctuation is not so easy! I think it's the grammar that's holding me back!!
Anyway, with that I'll leave you a few pics from this year... Nay's first 70.3...the 118 degree in the shade weather was kinda a bummer!

Cuz and Stevie G...road trip/racing friends extraordinaire!
Giving new meaning to Turkey Trot!

Meeting Troy...my heart is still a flutter!! ;)
The fam...The two laziest dogs I know...gotta love 'em!
I hope every one's 2008 was what they wanted it to be...and cheers to 2009...may all your dreams come true!!

3 comments:

Lee the Cyclist said...

A great look back. I also like your goals. It's time to help you love your trainer (coming from a guy that tolerates his at best). There is a book, Cycling Fitness, by pro-racer Michael Barry. It is excellent for trainer workouts. Here is the link -

http://www.michaelbarry.ca/

Lee the Cyclist said...

P.S. I still want to live the life of your dogs. Maybe that should be my 2009 goal.

Eduardo said...

You've had an interesting 12 months. Hope you achieve your goals & aspirations for the new year (of which I'm sure you will)as well as getting back on your bike. Happy New Year (Now get on that essay, ok, future "Doctor Coleybear"?)